Lock No. 27

Also known as: Johnny Cake Lock
Approx. 400 ft. E of intersection of Riverview and Everett Rds., Everett, Ohio

Lock on the Ohio & Erie canal

Photos 

Looking upstream

Photo taken by Jim Allen in October 2014

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

This newly completed section of the Ohio & Erie Canal experienced its first flood during the spring of 1828. One-half mile south of here, the flood caused Furnace Run Culvert to fail and the canal to silt. Several boats ran aground and were stranded at Lock 27. As supplies ran low, canal passengers and crew ate only corn meal pancakes, know as "johnnycakes", and this nickname stuck for Lock 27. -- sign at lock

The lock is located within the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 11, 1979
Reference number
79000303
Areas of significance
Commerce; Engineering; Transportation; Exploration/Settlement
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Water-related
Current function
Park
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant years
1825; 1827

Update Log 

  • October 16, 2014: Updated by Jim Allen: Refined coordinates & added description

Related landmarks 

Sources