Clintonville Post Office

2 N. Main St., Clintonville, Wisconsin

Art Moderne-styled building constructed in 1935 by the Public Works Administration.


Overview Looking South

The building faces a northwesterly direction.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in March 2015




"The Clintonville Post Office is located on the edge of the downtown business district of Clintonville, in northeastern Waupaca County, Wisconsin. Built in 1935, it is a one-story building of brown brick and terra cotta detailing. The building is loosely Art Deco in its styling, with elements of classical design in the composition of elements and in the organization of the facade. The cornerstone at the front right corner of the building reads: 'Henry Morgenthau, James A. Parley, Postmaster General, Louis A. Simon, Supervising Architect, George O. Von Nerta, Supervising Engineer, 1935.'

"The front fašade is a three-part composition; this tri-partite organization is common to many of the post offices in the related multiple-property nomination. In this example, the central pavilion is pulled forward. The building sits on a raised basement faced with brick and a large terra cotta water table. The post office has a flat roof with a terra cotta cornice and a terra cotta belt course several feet below. In the central pavilion, the brickwork between the cornice and belt course is laid in alternating bands of recessed courses marking the distinction between the central and side pavilions.

"The plan of the building is irregular with the public lobby and entrance on the Main Street fašade. The elevation is organized symmetrically about the entry doors. The double entry doors have a five light transom above. To either side of the doors are sidelights. The door, transom and sidelights are contained within a terra cotta frame. The stepped vertical planes of the frame, on the outer edge and between the doors and sidelights, give an impression of classical fluting. Above the entrance, the words "United States Post Office ~ Clintonville Wis [sic]" are impressed in the rectangular terra cotta blocks. This large central panel joins the lintels above the sidelights. The lintels each have three rosettes. A flight of stairs, the width of the framed entrance, rises from the sidewalk level."

From the NRHP Nomination Form, prepared by Charles W. Causier, AICP and Robert J. Gosse, Architect I of HNTB in 1993. Link Below.

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 24, 2000
Reference number
Architectural style
Modern Movement
Area of significance
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Post office
Current function
Post office
Period of significance
Significant year

Update Log 

  • March 16, 2015: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status, Added Description and Added Photos