Waukesha (Former) Post Office

Also known as: First National Bank of Waukesha, Rotunda Banquet Facility
235 W. Broadway Ave., Waukesha, Wisconsin

Former downtown Post Office repurposed for private uses.

Photos 

Overview Looking West

Photo taken by J.R. Manning

Map 

Description 

The old Post Office, with its impressive portico and its copper and stained glass dome, also served as the First National Bank of Waukesha. The portico, semi-circular, is supported by six Doric columns. The exterior is covered with Bedford stone. The portico features decorative iron lanterns, railings, granite steps and bronze railings.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 28, 1983
Reference number
83004359
NR name
Waukesha Post Office
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Post office
Current function
Financial institution
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1913

Update Log 

  • August 28, 2011: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status

Sources