Monticello Store and Post Office

Off SC 215, Monticello, South Carolina

Antebellum rural store in Monticello, SC

Photo 

Monticello Store and Post Office, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Monticello Store and Post Office is an unusually intact example of an antebellum rural store. Stylistically, the building appears to date from the mid-nineteenth century; however, local tradition suggests that it could have been built as early as 1820. It was reportedly owned by the Reverend Jonathan Davis, a prominent minister and state legislator from Fairfield District in the early nineteenth century. According to local tradition the rear portion of the store was used as a dormitory for the Jefferson-Monticello Academy in the 1820s. The building was used as a store and post office after the Civil War until the mid-1960s. The Monticello Store and Post Office is a one-story, frame, weatherboarded, T-shaped building. The front portion of the building has a gable roof with the gable end facing the road. The rear portion has a transverse gable roof. The main feature of the fašade is an undercut gallery with a pedimented gable supported by octagonal wooden columns. The fašade is sheathed in flushboard with a chair rail and has a double-leaf, center entrance with plain surround flanked by windows with paneled wooden shutters. The roof is wood shingled. Listed in the National Register December 6, 1984.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 6, 1984
Reference number
84000584
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Department store; Post office
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1825-1849
Significant year
ca. 1820

Update Log 

  • September 5, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • October 31, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"
  • October 31, 2013: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources