"The Albion Post Office is a symmetrically massed one-story brick building with a stone watertable. The central entrance is reached by a short flight of granite steps which are lined with original iron railings and are flanked by a pair of original lamps (with replaced tops). The building is entered through a pair of modern double doors. Above the doors is a blind wood transom. This ensemble is flanked by fluted engaged Doric columns and pilasters which support a simple entablature,above which is a blind fdnlight embellished with a cast aluminum eagle. Two window bays flank the entrance. The windows have twelve-over-twelve double-hung wood sash as well as simple limestone lintels and sills. A wooden denticulated cornice runs around the building. The front section of the post office has a copper-clad gable roof crowned by a square cupola with quoins, Doric pilasters, six-over-six window sash and an ogival cap with weathervane. Bronze letters reading "UNITED STATES POST OFFICE" are attached to the frieze of the cornice; "ALBION" and "NEW YORK" are affixed with similar bronze letters on either side of the entrance arch. A cornerstone is located at the northeast corner of the front facade."
Quotation from the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form entitled "United States Post Offices in New York State -- 1858 to 1943 -- Thematic Resources, Albion Post Office." The form was prepared by Larry E. Gobrecht, National Register and Survey Coordinator of the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, Field Services Bureau, July 1986. A link to the document is listed below under "Sources."
The lobby mural, entitled "Along the Barge Canal" was painted in 1939 by Judson Smith. It was part of a New Deal program administered by Treasury Section of Fine Arts. Smith painted at least five post office murals as a part of the program. A mural entitled "Lake George" is inside the Lake George, NY post office. These may be the only extant post office murals by Judson Smith.