S.S. VALLEY CAMP

Also known as: Louis W. Hill
Old Union Carbide Dock, Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan

Photos 

Photo taken by Jim Allen in June 2019

Enlarge

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

Built in 1917 by the American Shipbuilding Co. as the Louis W. Hill. In 1955 it was renamed the S.S. Valley Camp. Opened as a museum in 1968.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 1, 1972
Reference number
72000606
Areas of significance
Industry; Commerce; Transportation
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Water-related
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1917

Update Log 

  • July 3, 2019: New photos from Jim Allen
  • October 28, 2010: New Street View added by Nick Brnot

Related landmarks 

Sources