CHESAPEAKE (lightship)

Also known as: FENWICK, DELAWARE
Inner Harbor, Baltimore, Maryland

Photos 

Photo taken by John Reidy

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The 1930 Lightship No. 116, now known by her former designation, Chesapeake, is the best-preserved example of a generation of lightships designed to be powered by Diesel-electric plants. Known as the 113-Foot Class, these were the last lightships built by the U.S. Lighthouse Service before it was absorbed into the U.S. Coast Guard. In addition to serving the Fenwick, Chesapeake, and Delaware stations, No. 116 served as an examination vessel off Cape Cod and helped protect the important port of Boston during World War II. Owned by the National Park Service, No. 116 is on a 25-year loan to the City of Baltimore and is operated as a floating exhibit. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 20, 1989

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 1, 1980
Reference number
80000349
Areas of significance
Commerce; Transportation; Politics/Government; Architecture
Levels of significance
National; State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic functions
Water-related; Coast guard facility
Current functions
Museum; Research facility
Periods of significance
1950-1974; 1925-1949
Significant years
1930; 1965; 1970

Update Log 

  • May 28, 2011: New photos from John Reidy

Sources