American Legion Hut

Jct. of Hoover St. and Jackson Ave., Hampton, South Carolina

Photo 

American Legion Hut, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The American Legion Hut is a one-story, T-shaped cypress log building with a truss roof constructed in 1933. The Hut was constructed as and continues to be a meeting hall for the Hampton American Legion Post 108 as well as serving as a site for civic and social events. Local workers built the Hut supported by funds from the Reconstruction Finance Corporation, a federal agency that provided loans for work relief projects during the Great Depression. Construction began on May 8, 1933, and the hut was formally opened to the public on August 2, 1933. The exterior walls of the building were constructed of saddle-notched cypress logs with a white mortar chinking and rest on a brick pier foundation. The hip roof is covered with asphalt shingles. Vaney Bowers and his brother Dee Bowers, both of Hampton County, cut and skinned the cypress logs used to build the cabin. They pulled the logs on mule-driven carts to the construction site. The American Legion Hut in Hampton has served continuously as a meeting place not only for Legion members, but also for community functions such as school dances, town festivals, family reunions, and veterans’ remembrance services. Listed in the National Register October 27, 2000. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 27, 2000
Reference number
00001235
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Meeting hall
Current function
Meeting hall
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
1933

Update Log 

  • September 16, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources