Nelson Hall

1209 Fremont St., Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Three-story brick dormitory built in Prairie School style

Photos 

West Face / Main Entrance

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2016

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Designed by Van Ryn and De Gelleke of Milwaukee and constructed as a women's dormitory, it[Nelson Hall] has been in continuous use by the university and has a high degree of structural integrity. Nelson Hall is located at the intersection of Main and Fremont streets, but occupies the entire west end of a narrow city block with College Avenue on its north side. To its east, north and south, Nelson Hall is surrounded by a residential district. Its east fagade is abutted by a partially asphalt surfaced alley with parking space. Facing west toward a green space in front of the Old Main building, Nelson Hall is one of three buildings defining the historical character and context of the campus dating back to the early twentieth century.

Adapted from the National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination Form prepared for submission to the National Park Service. Document prepared by Kathleen Julin and Eric Yonke of the University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point, September 28, 2004. A link to the document is listed below in the "Sources" category.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 29, 2005
Reference number
05000643
Architectural style
American Movement: Prairie School
Areas of significance
Architecture; Education
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Educational related housing
Current function
School
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
Significant year
1917

Update Log 

  • August 9, 2016: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description and added photos

Sources