Seashore Farmers' Lodge No. 767

NE corner Jct. of Sol Legare & Old Sol Legare Rds., James Island, South Carolina

Photos 

Seashore Farmers' Lodge No. 767 2

Photo taken by Ammodramus

License: Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY)

View this photo at upload.wikimedia.org

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Seashore Farmers’ Lodge No. 767 (circa 1915) is significant as an illustration of the importance of fraternal orders in the cultural life of the lowcountry African American community in the early twentieth century. Lodges such as Seashore Farmers’ Lodge No. 767 were, along with the church, the heart of the community. Communication and cooperation with other lodges in the area and annual lodge parades and gatherings helped cement ties with the wider African American community. The Lodge provided, as its creed mandated, support for its members and celebration of life with music and recreation. If a member “defaulted” at the end of a growing season or had other problems with a crop, the Lodge would help buy seeds for the coming year. The Lodge provided health and life insurance and current information on farming. If a member or a member’s family was ill the Lodge members would “nurture” them; they gave money if possible and provided assistance with the home and children. The Seashore Farmers’ Lodge also provided assistance, recreation and education for the community; they raised money for the local Sunday school, and hosted Vacation Bible School for the area children. The Lodge members were small farmers, bound together by familial and community ties. Members were mostly family members of original Lodge members and were mostly residents of Sol Legare, though some were from “over the pond.” Members brought their children into the Lodge. The Lodge rituals were typical of secret societies. In 1915, the members of the Lodge built a two-story building on land belonging to Henry Wallace, a member. The building has a lateral gable roof of raised-seam tin with exposed rafters, wood clapboarding, concrete piers, and windows with wooden full-panel shutters as simple openings. Listed in the National Register October 3, 2007. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 3, 2007
Reference number
07001043
Areas of significance
Ethnic Heritage - Black; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Meeting hall
Current function
Meeting hall
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
Significant year
1915

Update Log 

  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 28, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "GPS Coordinates", "Description" & "Street View"

Sources