Exchange and Provost

Also known as: Custom House and Half-Moon Battery, The Exchange
E. Bay and Broad Sts., Charleston, South Carolina

Photos 

Exchange Building & Custom House

WEST (FRONT) ELEVATION. Taken September 1977.

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Built 1767-71, the structure has served as a customhouse, merchantile exchange, military prison and barracks, and post office. In 1790, the State Legislature met here to ratify the new State Constitution. The building was badly damaged by Union artillery fire during the Civil War and the great earthquake of 1886; it was repaired after each occasion. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, November 7, 1973

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 17, 1969
Reference number
69000160
Architectural style
Georgian
Areas of significance
Commerce; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Customhouse; Meeting hall; Government office
Current functions
Museum; Clubhouse
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1767; 1771; 1783

Update Log 

  • January 26, 2016: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 18, 2014: New photo from Michael Miller
  • July 15, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources