Sabine Hall

S of jct. of Rtes. 624 and 360, Tappahannock, Virginia

Photos 

Sabine Hall

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

Sabine Hall was built in 1730 for Colonel Landon Carter by his father, Robert Carter, of Corotoman, whose extensive possessions in the Colony of Virginia caused him to be called "King" Carter by his compatriots. According to tradition Colonel Carter named his estate for Horace's Sabine Farm because of his interest and great delight in the Roman poet Horace. The estate consists of some four thousand acres on the Rappahannock in Richmond County. On the river side of the house is an excellent example of a Colonial garden at its best. Practically unchanged since it was laid off about 1730 by English gardeners, it has a series of six terraces. Broad grass ramps lead down from one terrace to the next. It was in this garden that George Washington unfolded to Landon Carter his plans for the campaign at Morristown. Upon leaving he took with him the young son of Sabine Hall to enlist in the Army of the Revolution. Sabine Hall has come down for nine generations and is still owned by Carter descendants. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS VA-155)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 12, 1969
Reference number
69000277
Architectural style
Georgian
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1700-1749; 1750-1799; 1825-1849
Significant years
1735; 1764; 1835

Sources