Carpenters' Hall

310 Chestnut St., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Photos 

Carpenters' Company Hall

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Erected in 1770-71 as a guild hall for the Carpenters' Company of Philadelphia, this is a fine example of late Georgian public architecture. The building served as a meeting place for the First Continental Congress in 1774, as a hospital for both British and American troops, and as the temporary office of both the First and Second Banks of the United States. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, April 15, 1970

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 15, 1970
Reference number
70000552
Architectural style
Georgian
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Meeting hall
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1770; 1771

Update Log 

  • July 11, 2012: New photo from wdzinc
  • June 21, 2012: Updated by wdzinc: Updated Map Coordinates

Sources