Alaska Native Brotherhood Hall

Also known as: Sitka Camp No. 1
Katlean St., Sitka, Alaska

Photos 

Alaska Native Brotherhood Hall, Sitka Camp No. 1

1. SOUTHEAST SIDE AND NORTHEAST FRONT

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

The Tlingits founded the the Alaska Native Brotherhood/Sisterhood Society in Sitka in 1912 to fight discrimination against Alaska's natives and to obtain recognition of their rights and compensation for their lands. In 1914 the Society built this large frame building as a meeting hall and headquarters. It remains a symbol of the political power the group attained. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, June 2, 1978

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 23, 1972
Reference number
72000192
Area of significance
Ethnic Heritage - Native American
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Clubhouse; Civic
Current functions
Civic; Clubhouse
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1914

Sources