Fenwick Hall

North of SC-700/River Road Intersection, John's Island, SC

Photo 

Fenwick Hall, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Erected in 1730, with an octagonal wing added about 1787, Fenwick Hall is the finest surviving example of an early Georgian two-story brick plantation house built on the Huguenot floor plan that was widely used in South Carolina plantation houses during the 18th century. The magnificent paneled interiors of this house are equal to those of Maryland and Virginia plantation houses constructed during the same period. The house was built for John Fenwick, a wealthy South Carolina planter, in 1730. In 1787 it was purchased by his cousin, John Gibbes, who altered it somewhat. The house was used as headquarters by the commanding officers of invading armies during both the Revolution and the Civil War, and thus survived both conflicts without serious damage. In 1931 the house was restored by Victor Morawta of New York City. Fenwick Hall is a two-story structure over a high basement with a decked hipped roof surrounded by a balustrade. The brick walls are laid in Flemish bond, with corners marked by brick quoins. Added in 1931 were a one-story verandah at the east end and a small two-story brick wing at the west end. A detached two-story brick flanker, built to the west about 1850 as a coach house and stables has been converted to a garage. The matching east flanker has disappeared; its site is occupied by a formal 18th century garden laid out in 1931. Listed in the National Register February 23, 1972. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 23, 1972
Reference number
72001196
Architectural style
Georgian
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Periods of significance
1700-1749; 1750-1799
Significant years
1730; 1787
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "Category" & Imported Photo
  • July 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "Address" & added "Description"

Sources