Banksia Hall

Also known as: Old Manville House
108 Reynolds Rd., Barnwell, South Carolina

Historic Civil War era home in Barnwell, SC

Photo 

Banskia Hall, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Banskia Hall presents a typical picture of a South Carolina upcountry style plantation house of ca. 1780-1800. The house is of simple Georgian design in the style common from Georgia to Pennsylvania in the late eighteenth century. The house is two-stories with rear shed projections and a wide, full fašade piazza. Its solid square columns support the second level porch that was added prior to 1900. The kitchen was reconstructed about 1866 and connected via a breezeway to the rear elevation of this long leaf pine building. In 1950 a porch replaced the breezeway and two bathrooms were added. From 1865 until 1868 federal military forces that occupied the western lowcountry of South Carolina used the house. What is now the drawing room was used as the office in which an oath of allegiance to the United States was administered. Pardon was promised to those who had participated in the war if they would pledge allegiance to the Union and obedience to the laws of the United States. Listed in the National Register May 31, 1974. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 31, 1974
Reference number
74001821
Architectural style
Georgian
Areas of significance
Military; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1750-1799
Significant years
1790; 1865; 1868

Update Log 

  • August 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "Category" & Uploaded Photo
  • October 25, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"

Sources