Turner Hall

1034 N. 4th St., Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Photos 

Overview Looking Southeast

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in April 2014

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Milwaukee Turner Hall, built in 1882, is among the few surviving 19th-century historic buildings associated with the American Turners, a very influential organization of German Americans. The last Turner clubhouse in Milwaukee, the "German Athens" of America, it exemplifies the major place and multi-faceted role the Milwaukee Turners have held in this national organization. The building also represents the Milwaukee Turners' unheralded role in political reform from the antislavery movement in the 1850s through the era of progressive municipal reform. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, November 15, 1996

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 7, 1977
Reference number
77000041
Architectural styles
Victorian: Romanesque; Victorian: Gothic
Areas of significance
Social History; Philosophy; Architecture; Ethnic Heritage - European; Politics/Government
Levels of significance
National; Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Clubhouse; Auditorium; Sport facility
Current functions
Clubhouse; Auditorium; Sport facility; Restaurant; Organizational
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1882; 1883

Tags 

19th Century (37,601)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1882 (437)
Built during 1880s (6,442)
European heritage (999)
Gothic (1,435)
Henry C. Koch (17)
Limestone (8,192)
Meeting hall (1,534)
Milwaukee County, Wisconsin (320)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin (163)
National Historic Landmark (2,195)
Private owner (54,396)
Romanesque (2,718)
Stone (26,161)
Victorian (19,697)
Wisconsin (2,585)

Update Log 

  • April 13, 2014: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status and Added Photos

Sources