Stockyards Exchange

200 N. Concord St., South St. Paul, Minnesota

Photos 

Stockyards Exchange Building

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

In 1979, the Stockyards Exchange Building, including the 1887 building and the 1912/1917 annex, was determined to be of sufficient national significance to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The building was nominated for its association with the development of the St. Paul Stockyards which, in the early 1900's, became "the United States largest stocker, feeder, and milch cow market...", and also with the development of meat packing in Minnesota which "supplied dressed meat to a large part of the world." The Stockyards Exchange Building is also recognized for its local significance of having served the community of South Saint Paul as the first Post Office, first meeting place for the City Council, first bank (Stockyards National Bank), and as a meeting place for community groups. Although the 1887 building is primarily associated with the beginning of these significant developments, the annex additions were constructed by the original business and were the direct result of the increased growth and success of that business. The annex allowed the business to grow and expand, while remaining in its original location, at a time when the industry reached its peak of production. The 1887 building and the annex continued to serve the same business until 1977, when reductions in the industry necessitated moving the business to a new smaller building. Of secondary significance is the recognition of the 1887 building as a fine local example of late 19th Century commercial architecture in Richardsonian Romanesque style, designed by the local architect C.A. Reed, and the recognition of the annex as an example of early 20th Century office building design. It is also notable that the Stockyard Company remained in the same location for 90 years and that the interiors are relatively unaltered since their construction. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS MN-151)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 7, 1979
Reference number
79001235
Architectural styles
Other architectural type; Victorian: Romanesque; Richardsonian Romanesque
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Meeting hall; Post office; Financial institution; Business
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant years
1887; 1917

Update Log 

  • August 2, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources