Mount Hebron Temperance Hall

Also known as: Division Room of the Saludavill Division No. 47, Sons of Temperance
3041 Leaphart Rd., West Columbia, South Carolina

Photos 

Mt. Hebron Temperance Hall Left Oblique

Photo taken by Michael Miller in November 2014

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Local tradition and contemporary records indicate that the Mount Hebron Temperance Hall was constructed in 1862 as a meeting room for members of the local temperance group. Located in West Columbia, it is the only identified building constructed specifically for use as a temperance meeting hall remaining in Lexington County. It is associated with the long and generally unsuccessful state and national temperance movement of the nineteenth century. Interest in temperance in South Carolina increased as the nineteenth century progressed. In 1829 the first statewide temperance society was organized, and by 1847 the South Carolina division of the national organization known as the Sons of Temperance had been chartered. In South Carolina local societies were formed as subdivisions of the state organization. One such group formed in the neighborhood of the Mount Hebron Methodist Church. A charter was issued to the Saludavill Division No. 47 by the national division in December 1858. Although many of the members of the temperance society were also members of Mount Hebron Methodist Church, the division did not meet in the church building. The hall is a small, one-story rectangular structure sheathed in weatherboard, with a gabled cypress shingle roof. It stands in the churchyard of the Mount Hebron United Methodist Church. The interior has a single room with wide board flooring and flushboard walls and ceiling. There is no plumbing or wiring. Eventually the church has taken over the temperance hall for use as a Sunday School building and Boy Scout Hut. The building was restored in 1979. Listed in the National Register November 24, 1980. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 24, 1980
Reference number
80003677
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Clubhouse
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1862

Update Log 

  • November 12, 2014: New photos from Michael Miller
  • September 24, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View", Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Imported Photo

Sources