301 W. Main St., 816 and 802 Grand Ave., Waukesha, Wisconsin
This was the first of the three additions that comprise the Putney Block. It was built in 1870 by Capt Foskett M. Putney. He operated the wood-framed Exchange Hotel and added the stone front Orient Block as an addition to his hotel. It operated as the New Exchange Hotel until 1879, when Capt Putney retired.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning
+43.01154, -88.2318043°00'42" N, 88°13'54" W
The Putney Block is comprised of three additions, beginning with the Orient Block (816 N. Grand Avenue) that was built in 1870 by Capt Foskett M. Putney. He operated the wood-framed Exchange Hotel and added the stone front Orient Block as an addition to his hotel. It operated as the New Exchange Hotel until 1879, when Capt Putney retired.
The second addition was built in 1882 by Frank Howell Putney, Capt. Putney's son. The second addition is located at 301 W. Main.
The third and final addition was built in 1891 at 802 N. Grand. Putney connected all three additions with a long hallway on the second level. The third addition features a corner bartizan made from metal. It features a conical roof made of slate.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 23, 1982
- Reference number
- Architectural styles
- Victorian: Italianate; Victorian: Queen Anne; Other architectural type; High Victorian
- Area of significance
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic functions
- Department store; Professional; Meeting hall; Business
- Current functions
- Meeting hall; Professional; Department store; Business
- Periods of significance
- 1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874
- Significant years
- 1870; 1882; 1891
- Number of properties
- Contributing buildings: 3
- September 5, 2011: New photos from J.R. Manning
- August 28, 2011: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status