Carlin Hall

Also known as: Curtis Hall, Carlin Community Hall, Glencarlyn School, Glencarlyn Recreation Center
5711 4th St., S., Arlington, Virginia

Photo 

File:Carlin Hall for wiki.jpg

Photo taken by Greenmars

License: Public domain: Released by author

View this photo at en.wikipedia.org

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Carlin Hall, also known as Curtis Hall, Carlin Community Hall, Glencarlyn School, Glencarlyn Recreation Center, and is a historic community center located in the Glencarlyn section of Arlington, Virginia. It was built in 1892, and is a tall one-story, frame, Late Victorian cross-plan community hall. It measures approximately 45 feet wide and 30 feet deep. The standing seam metal gable roof is topped by a four-sided wood cupola. It originally served as a meeting place for the newly formed Glencarlyn civic association and the Episcopal church congregation, provided a place for a variety of community social events. The building housed an elementary school from the 1920s to 1950. In 1953, it was returned by Arlington County as a community center.

It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 12, 1993
Reference number
93000833
Architectural style
Victorian
Areas of significance
Architecture; Community Planning and Development
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Theater; Auditorium; Religious structure; Meeting hall
Current functions
Meeting hall; Auditorium; School
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1900-1924
Significant year
1892
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • January 15, 2016: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name", "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources