Charles Gerard Conn Mansion

Also known as: Strong-Conn Mansion
723 Strong Ave., Elkhart, Indiana

Photo 

Photo taken by Jim Allen in June 2016

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

This house was built for Samuel Strong in 1884, purchased by C.G.Conn in 1880 who redesigned it in 1912. C.G.Conn became famous for inventing improvements to musical instruments. He left Elkhart the legacy "Band Instrument Capital of the World" - per nomination form.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 19, 2007
Reference number
07001278
NR name
Conn, Charles Gerard, Mansion
Architectural styles
Victorian: Italianate; Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Areas of significance
Invention; Industry; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
B - Person; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1900-1924
Significant years
1884; 1912
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • June 28, 2016: Updated by Jim Allen: added coordinates & description

Sources