Philipsburg Manor

Also known as: Philips Castle, Philipse Manor
381 N. Broadway, Sleepy Hollow, New York

Photos 

Philipsburg Manor

Photo taken by Richard Doody in 2004

Enlarge

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

Philipsburg Manor is a late 17th and early 18th century milling and trading complex that was headquarters for a 52,000 acre estate. It was owned by an Anglo-Dutch family of merchants and operated by a community of enslaved Africans. Philipsburg Manor presents the history of northern colonial slavery and its effects on the commercial, economic, and cultural development of New York. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, November 5, 1961

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000584
Area of significance
Exploration/Settlement
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1650-1699
Significant years
1680; 1697
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 3

Update Log 

  • May 2, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody

Sources