Morse-Libby Mansion

Also known as: Victoria Mansion
109 Danforth St., Portland, Maine

Photos 

Morse-Libby House

2. Historic American Buildings Survey GEN'L VIEW FROM STREET. LOOKING NORTH, South (front) elevation.

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Designed by the Henry Austin and with extraordinary elaborate interiors by the artist-decorator Giovanni Guidirini, this is one of the finest and least-altered examples of a large Italianate Villa-styled brick and brownstone town house in the United States. It was constructed between 1859 and 1863 for Ruggles Sylvester Morse, a New Orleans hotel owner, who intended it as a summer residence; in 1895, it was acquired by J.R. Libby, a Portland merchant; in 1943, the mansion was donated to the Victoria Society of Maine Women. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 30, 1970

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 19, 1970
Reference number
70000074
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1859; 1863

Update Log 

  • November 26, 2016: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett
  • September 13, 2013: Photo imported by Brian Bartlett

Sources