Rose Hill Manor

Also known as: Rose Hill, Rose Garden, part of Tasker's Chance
1611 N. Market St., Frederick, Maryland

Photos 

Historic American Buildings Survey E.H. Pickering, Photographer Sept. 1936

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Rose Hill property, consisting of 225 acres, was purchased by prominent Frederick County planter Thomas Johnson (1732-1819) in 1778. One of the most important Revolutionary War era leaders in Maryland, Johnson served as the state's first elected governor (1777-79), and subsequently as Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court (1791-93). In 1788 Johnson gave the property to his daughter Ann (1769-1837), upon the occasion of her marriage to Major John Colin Grahame (1760-1833). Rose Hill Manor was constructed by the Grahames, most likely during the period 1789-92. Built in a traditional, late Colonial style, the house consists of a large, rectangular main block, five bays wide, with a smaller, setback service wing projecting to the west. Two stories tall, with a full basement and attic, Rose Hill Manor was constructed of brick, supported by a fieldstone foundation. Wood framing supports the floors and roof. The center three bays of both the south (front) and north (rear) elevations project 5", and each support a pediment with half-round window. The south elevation is further distinguished by Flemish bond brick work, tall jack arches over the windows, and an ornamental water table. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 9, 1971
Reference number
71000374
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Georgian
Areas of significance
Landscape Architecture; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current function
Park
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant year
ca. 1795
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 4

Update Log 

  • March 18, 2020: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • June 2, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources