Hegeler--Carus Mansion

1307 Seventh St., La Salle, Illinois

Photos 

Hegeler Carus Mansion

Exterior, south facade

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

The Hegeler Carus Mansion, constructed in 1874-76, is a seven level Second Empire Style residence in La Salle, Illinois, approximately six blocks north of the Illinois and Michigan Canal, a National Heritage Corridor and National Historic Landmark district. Designed by noted Chicago architect W. W. Boyington for Edward and Camilla Hegeler, the 57-room Mansion is located on three acres of grounds. Occupied by Hegeler descendants from its construction in 1876 until 2004, the Mansion exhibits an exceptional degree of interior and exterior integrity. Original wall finishes, stenciling, fixtures and furnishings are intact. The ground floor featured the office spaces, presses, and typeset of the nationally renowned Open Court Publishing Company, which was established by Hegeler and continued by his son-in-law Paul Carus. The company was based in the house from 1887 to 1936. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS IL-1228)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 9, 1995
Reference number
95000989
Architectural style
Victorian: Second Empire
Areas of significance
Philosophy; Religion; Communications; Industry; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure; Business
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1874; 1887; 1936
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing objects: 1

Sources