The Henry F. Campbell Mansion has kind of an odd history- It was never lived in by the family who it was intended for.
Mr. Campbell was the Chairman of the Board of the Stutz Motor Car Company, a famous automobile that was once built in Indianapolis. Construction on the house began in the 1920's. Unfortunately, due mainly to the depression, Campbell lost most of his money. The house had been under construction for six years at that point and remained incomplete until 1941. It was then finished and was almost immediately divided into apartments. As far as is known, the mansion was never used as a single family dwelling. A few years ago, two multi-unit apartment buildings were added to the property, at the rear of the mansion.
Photo taken by Jack Finney in August 2010