Illinois Central Railroad Depot

Also known as: Illinois Central Railroad Station
1718 Broadway Ave., Mattoon, Illinois

Photos 

Illinois Central Railroad Depot

Photo taken by Robert Stephenson in March 2010

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The City of Mattoon grew up in the middle of the 19th Century around a crossing of the Illinois Central and Terre Haute & Alton Railroad. In 1885, the Illinois Central dug a subway through town to cross beneath the other railroad.

The TH&A grew to be the Terre Haute, Alton & St. Louis railroad but it was sold into receivership in 1862. Through mergers, it became part of the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, and St. Louis Railway that is better known as "The Big Four." There were two depots, one built by each railroad, the subject depot was built by the Illinois Central.

The Big Four tracks are long gone, as is the Big Four bridge that spanned the ICRR tracks. The abutment on the east side is all that remains. There was a Railway Express Agency freight depot northwest of the depot, it was demolished July 24, 2013. REA utilized the freight elevator in the IC Depot.

The city purchased the depot from the Canadian National, which now owns the ICRR right of way, to ensure that it would continue to serve Mattoon as an Amtrak stop for the Illini, Saluki, and City of New Orleans, although the latter is a flag stop only. The depot has been restored and the city is offering empty space for rental.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 1, 2002
Reference number
02000098
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival; American Movement: Bungalow/Craftsman
Area of significance
Transportation
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Parking lot
Current function
Parking lot
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
Significant year
1917

Update Log 

  • June 10, 2017: Updated by J.R. Manning: Added Description and photos
  • June 30, 2010: New photos from Robert Stephenson

Sources