Bleachery Water Treatment Plant

Abandoned
Also known as: Bleachery Pump House
Stewart Ave., Rock Hill, South Carolina

Photo 

Bleachery Water Treatment Plant, Facade with Filtration Basins in Foreground

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Bleachery Water Treatment Plant, inclusive of its building and above and in-ground filtration/purification basins, is significant in the textile development of the city of Rock Hill and for how it supported and made possible the expansion of the textile industrial complex there. In addition, it is significant as an excellent local example of Colonial Revival architecture. The Bleachery Water Treatment Plant is a one-story brick building and filtration/purification facility constructed in 1930 as part of a large textile facility development. The Rock Hill Printing and Finishing Company (locally known as the Bleachery) was a major investment in Rock Hill by M. Lowenstein Company of New York City. To serve the massive new facility and the growing city, the citizens of Rock Hill passed a bond issue to create a new water treatment facility. A raw water intake on the Catawba River and large water mains were constructed to the site of the treatment facility on the northwest corner of the Bleachery complex. Listed in the National Register March 6, 2008. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 6, 2008
Reference number
08000154
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival
Areas of significance
Industry; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Public works
Periods of significance
1925-1949; 1950-1974
Significant year
1930
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • October 24, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "GPS Coordinates", "Description" & "Street View", Updated "Status" and Imported Photo
  • October 24, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources