Demorest Women's Club
Also known as: Demorest Methodist Episcopal Church, Demorest Methodist Church1035 Central Ave., Demorest, Georgia
Photo taken by pam phillips in October 2015
+34.56643, -83.5442434°33'59" N, 83°32'39" W
The Demorest Woman's Club was founded in 1934 by a group of eleven women who first met in members' homes. Later that year the club was officially federated and 51 additional members joined. In 1954 the club purchased the Demorest Methodist Church building from its trustees for one dollar, and immediately began renovations to the building. The Men's Civic Club had previously refused to accept the building, because they thought it was too dilapidated, but the women persevered and managed to adapt the building to their needs.
The Demorest Woman's Club is significant in women's history for its associations with the women's club movement of Georgia. According to Georgia: A Woman's Place, A Historic Context, the 1920s saw the beginnings of many clubhouses for women in small towns and cities, whereas previously these groups had not had organizational homes.
Women's groups had supported philanthropic causes for many years, but having their own building enabled the clubs to house administrative records, accommodate larger meetings, and serve as a community focal point. As with other women's clubs, the activities of the Demorest Woman's Club were extremely beneficial to the entire community.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 30, 2008
- Reference number
- Area of significance
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event
- Property type
- Historic functions
- Religious structure; Clubhouse
- Current function
- Period of significance
- Significant year
- October 4, 2015: New photo from pam phillips
- November 6, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "GPS Coordinates" & "Streetview"