Carmel Mission

Also known as: Mission San Carlos de Borromeo del Rio Carmelo
Rio Rd., Carmel, California

Photos 

Mission San Carlos Borromeo

1. Historic American Buildings Survey From Society of California Pioneers Original

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Established in June 1770 by Father Junipero Serra, the Mission Church of San Carlos de Borromeo served as the headquarters for the "padre presidente" and was thus the most important of the California missions. By 1852 it lay in ruins. Since that time it has been restored and reconstructed, and today is an excellent example of a California mission. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, October 9, 1960

The roof which had collapsed by 1852 was later replaced with a Gothic style roof. In the 1930s it was restored to its original arch style. The Basilica was last restored in 2013 and included a seismic retrofit. Future restoration is planed for the museum building.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000214
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1793; 1797
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 4

Update Log 

  • February 28, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
  • October 12, 2015: New photo from Jim Allen
  • October 1, 2014: Updated by Jim Allen: Added to description

Sources