Cataldo Mission

Also known as: Coeur d'Alene Mission of the Sacred Heart
Off U.S. 10, Cataldo, Idaho

Photos 

Sacred Heart Mission

1. Historic American Buildings Survey William C. Everhart, Photographer October 1958 HIGHWAY MARKER TO MISSION

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Jesuit Mission lay 1/8-mile from the Old Yellowstone Trail. The original site was selected by Father de Smet while on a visit to the Coeur D'Alene Indians. A church was begun on the banks of the Coeur D'Alene River but flooding forced the abandonment of the building. A temporary chapel was erected by Father Joset in 1846 on a low hill adjacent to the river that became the final site of the mission... -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS ID-1)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000312
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Colonial; Other architectural type; Baroque
Areas of significance
Ethnic Heritage - Native American; Archeology - Non-Aboriginal; Exploration/Settlement; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction; D - Information Potential
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1848; 1876
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 3

Update Log 

  • June 21, 2018: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
  • May 30, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
  • August 7, 2012: New photos from Jim Allen

Sources