Searights Tollhouse, National Road

W of Uniontown off U.S. 40, Uniontown, Pennsylvania

Photos 

Photo taken by Jim Allen, May 2011

Map 

Description 

Built around 1835, this is one of six tollhouses authorized by the State to aid in the collection of tolls needed to maintain Pennsylvania's section of the National Road. The building is situated on a half-acre of land immediately adjacent to U.S. Route 40. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, January 29, 1964

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000665
Areas of significance
Transportation; Communications
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Road-related
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1835; 1885

Update Log 

  • October 18, 2020: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
  • August 4, 2012: New photos from Jim Allen

Sources