Administration Building, Carnegie Institute of Washington

1530 P St., NW., Washington, District of Columbia

Map 

Description 

Andrew Carnegie founded and endowed this Institution in 1902 to encourage scientific "investigation, research and discovery" that would lead "to the improvement of mankind." The Beaix-Arts style building, designed by New York architects Carrerre and Hastings, was completed in 1910. The building currently houses the administrative offices of the Carnegie Institution. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, June 23, 1965

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000959
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival; Other architectural type; Second Renaissance Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Organizational
Current function
Organizational
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1910