Winder Building

604 17th St., NW., Washington, District of Columbia

Photos 

EAST FRONT

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Street View 

Description 

One of few pre-Civil War office buildings in Washington and certainly the least altered, the Winder Building was built for William H. Winder who leased most of the space to the U.S. government, and sold the building to them in 1854. With an unusual construction of cast-iron beams and brick bearing walls, along with brick flooring, this building was as strong and as fireproof as any of its time. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 24, 1969
Reference number
69000303
Areas of significance
Military; Politics/Government
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Government office
Current function
Government office
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1848; 1854

Update Log 

  • April 27, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • May 12, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources