Pension Building

4th and 5th Sts. between F and G Sts., NW, Washington, District of Columbia

Photos 

Historic American Buildings Survey Russell Jones, Photographer March 1959 ENTRANCE - SOUTH ELEVATION

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

The Pension Building was erected in 1883 at a cost of $900,000, as a memorial to the veterans of the Civil War. From 1885 until 1926 it was occupied by the Bureau of Pensions. The latter years the building was taken over by the General Accounting Office and used by that organization until completion of their new building. It was the annex to the Civil Service Commission, and currently houses the National Building Museum. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS DC-76)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 24, 1969
Reference number
69000312
Architectural styles
Victorian: Renaissance; Other architectural type; Italian Renaissance
Areas of significance
Engineering; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Government office
Current functions
Museum; Government office
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant years
1882; 1885

Update Log 

  • May 12, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER