Newport Casino

Also known as: Newport Casino National Historic Landmark
194 Bellevue Ave., Newport, Rhode Island

Photos 

Newport Casino

4. Historic American Buildings Survey, Cervin Robinson, Photographer July 15, 1970 THEATER INTERIOR FROM NORTHEAST, FROM STAGE.

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Newport Casino was built in 1880 for James Gordon Bennett, publisher of the "New York Herald." Designed by McKim, Mead, and White, it was the fist of the suburban and resort country clubs which were a new feature in the 1880's. This Shingle Style commercial structure is particularly significant as one of the four buildings that comprise a distinguished commercial street, the east side of Bellevue Avenue beginning at Memorial Boulevard and running south. The development of the street began at the north with the building of the Travers Block at the corner in 1870-1871. Designed by Richard Morris Hunt, it is an important example of his early style. The Newport Casino is the next building, and the next one in date. The largest of the four, and historically the best known, it was not only a commercial building but also a social center for the summer colony. The third building in the group is the King Block, designed by the Boston architects Perkins and Betton and built in 1892-1893. The Audrain Building is the southern anchor of the group. The four buildings maintain a long street line and are basically related in scale and massing. They are also related in their use of richly textured surfaces which, at the same time, allows great variety and liveliness. Without matching, the building compliment each other in a particularly urbane way and form an ensemble which should be preserved. The Newport Casino has been placed on the National Register.The casino was an entertainment center with lawn and court tennis, game rooms, apartments, a restaurant, a theater, and street-level commercial spaces. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS RI-331)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 2, 1970
Reference number
70000083
Architectural style
Victorian: Shingle Style
Areas of significance
Landscape Architecture; Art; Entertainment/Recreation; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Outdoor recreation; Civic; Sport facility
Current functions
Museum; Sport facility; Outdoor recreation
Periods of significance
1950-1974; 1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1975-2000; 1925-1949
Significant years
1879; 1881; 1906
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • April 18, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources