Sylvanus Wade House

Also known as: Old Wade House
At jct. of WI 23 and Kettle Maraine Dr. in Old Wade House State Park, Greenbush, Wisconsin

Photos 

East Elevation

The house faces a street called "Plank Road." At one time, the highway between Sheboygan and Fond du Lac was paved with planks. Greenbush, halfway between the two cities, was a logical place for a stagecoach inn, provided here by Sylvanus Wade.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning

Map 

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 26, 1971
Reference number
71000041
NR name
Wade, Sylvanus, House
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Transportation; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Hotel; Restaurant; Road-related
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1847; 1851

Update Log 

  • July 27, 2010: New photos from J.R. Manning

Sources