Louisville Water Company Pumping Station

Zorn Ave., Louisville, Kentucky

Photos 

Louisville Water Company Pumping Stations

1. General view of Pump Station No. 1 and the standpipe tower from the west.

Photo from the Historic American Engineering Record

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Theodore R. Scowden, chief engineer for the Louisville Water Company, designed Pumping Station No. 1 in the Classical Revival style in 1856. The complex included an engine room and boiler house in the form of a two-story temple, three bays wide, with a tetrastyle portico and twin one-story wings. The windows, sills, and column bases are of cast iron; the capitals of terra cotta. A 169' high standpipe tower with a Corinthian peristyle around the base and statues atop the columns was designed in imitation of a triumphal Roman Doric column. The tower was constructed of brick to the top of the colonnade, and of riveted plates of steel and sheet metal above this point. -- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER KY-9)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 11, 1971
Reference number
71000348
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Areas of significance
Engineering; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Public works
Current function
Public works
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1856; 1860
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • May 30, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • September 17, 2013: New photos from J.P.

Sources