Ladies' Literary Club

61 Sheldon St., SE., Grand Rapids, Michigan

Map 

Description 

Francis Scott Fitzgerald (1896-1940), spokesman for the Jazz Age, wrote several stories and his first published novel, THIS SIDE OF PARADISE, in this Victorian rowhouse. The novels "The Beautiful and the Damned" and "The Great Gatsby" quickly followed. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, November 11, 1971

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 26, 1971
Reference number
71000400
Architectural styles
Other architectural type; Victorian: Romanesque; Richardsonian Romanesque
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Levels of significance
Local; National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Civic
Current function
Civic
Period of significance
1875-1899

Tags 

Brick (42,466)
Building (4,435)
Grand Rapids, Michigan (32)
Kent County, Michigan (49)
Michigan (1,960)
National Historic Landmark (2,198)
Private owner (54,403)
Romanesque (2,724)
Slate (5,715)
Stone (26,168)
Victorian (19,703)
W.C. Robinson (1)