Walker Tavern

Also known as: Cambridge State Historical Park
11710 US 12, Cambridge Junction, Michigan

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads:

This historic building, a link with the bygone pioneer era, dates back to 1832. Here at the junction of the Chicago Road and the road from Monroe, a small inn was operated by Sylvester Walker of Cooperstown, New York. Before long the Walker Tavern was a famed stopping-place for stagecoaches and the hundreds of pioneer wagons that passed here daily. Daniel Webster and James Fenimore Cooper were among the noted guests who stayed at this storied inn, which was also a center for the community. In the early days church services were held in the barroom. In 1921, Frederic Hewitt purchased the tavern, restoring it as a museum.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 25, 1971
Reference number
71000404
Area of significance
Transportation
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Restaurant
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Sources