Old Barracks

Also known as: Trenton Barracks
S. Willow St., Trenton, New Jersey

Photos 

Old Barracks

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

This 2-1/2 story field stone structure is the only surviving barracks of five erected by New Jersey's Colonial legislature to house troops during the French and Indian War. At different times during the Revolution, American and British soldiers and Hessian mercenaries were quartered here; Hessians were here on Christmas 1776 when Washington crossed the Delaware and surprised the Trenton garrison. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, November 28, 1972

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 25, 1971
Reference number
71000506
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Institutional housing
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1758; 1777

Sources