Presbyterian Manse

NW of Edisto Island off SC 174, Edisto Island, South Carolina

Photo 

Presbyterian Manse, Right Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

The Presbyterian congregation on Edisto Island is one of the oldest in South Carolina, dating from about 1710. The Presbyterian Manse on Edisto Island, a two-and-a-half story, wooden building with full brick basement, has been altered little since it was built in the late 1700s (ca.1790). Entrance is via small, straight stairs which lead to a wide shed-roof porch which extends the full length of the building and continues around the east side. The porch has square posts to which railings are attached horizontally. The façade below the porch roof consists of a central door with four pane transom above. The door is flanked by four 9 over 9 sash windows, two to a side. The four windows on the second floor level are located directly above the first floor windows. Two overhanging dormer windows, set in a medium gable roof, are placed in front of matching chimneys. The manse’s severe simplicity is very much in keeping with the general idea of a Presbyterian manse. Listed in the National Register May 14, 1971. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 14, 1971
Reference number
71000757
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Church related residence
Current function
Church related residence
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant year
ca. 1790

Update Log 

  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 28, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"

Sources