Fort Howard Hospital
2640 S. Webster Ave., Green Bay, Wisconsin
Simple but dignified 1-1/2 story, gable-roofed, wood structure of Federal design
Structure in its Original Location
The structure was moved to Heritage Hill State Park in 1975. This photograph was taken on April 18, 1934 as part of a HABS Survey.
Photo taken by Alexander C. Guth for the Historic American Building Survey
View photos at Library of Congress
+44.47411, -88.0340944°28'27" N, 88°02'03" W
The Fort Howard hospital was moved into a residential area to preserve it after Fort Howard was abandoned and sold to the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad. At that time, the read wing was disconnected, otherwise, the structure would not fit on its lot.
The separated wing is listed on the NRHP as the Fort Howard Ward. When the structures were moved to Heritage Hill in 1982, the ward building was reattached to the hospital in its correct location.
For a time in 1826-1828, Dr. William Beaumont was post surgeon here, coming from Mackinac where he had made his first observations and experimentations on gastric digestion on Alexis St. Martin. He would be more famous for his later work on the human gastric process at Fort Crawford in Prairie du Chien.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 22, 1979
- Reference number
- Architectural style
- Areas of significance
- Military; Architecture; Social History
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event; C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic function
- Current function
- Periods of significance
- 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1825-1849
- Significant years
- 1816; 1817; 1867
- October 31, 2018: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description and added photos
- September 15, 2010: New photos from J.R. Manning