Ashburton House

Also known as: St. John's Church Parish House, British Legation
1525 H St., NW., Washington, District of Columbia

Map 

Description 

For ten months in 1842, this was the scene of negotiations which resolved "one of the gravest and most inveterate diplomatic issues of the United States in the generation following the War of 1812": the long-standing dispute with Great Britain over major segments of the boundary with Canada. In addition, the Webster-Ashburton Treaty of 1842 saw the United States Government protect and respect the rights of the States in international affairs and stand firm against British impressment of sailors aboard American ships. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, November 7, 1973

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 7, 1973
Reference number
73002071
Area of significance
Politics/Government
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Diplomatic building
Current function
Church related residence
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
1842

Sources