American Peace Society

734 Jackson Pl., NW., Washington, District of Columbia

Map 

Description 

From 1911 to 1948, this large Victorian town house served as the headquarters of the oldest organization in America dedicated solely to promoting international peace. The Society was founded in 1828 by William Ladd (1778-1841), who sought to foster popular sentiment against war and attempted to persuade legislatures and individual leaders to organize an international court of arbitration as a logical alternative to war. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, May 30, 1974

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 13, 1974
Reference number
74002155
Architectural style
Victorian
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Organizational
Current function
Organizational
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1911; 1948