Carnegie Endowment for International Peace

700 Jackson Pl., NW, Washington, District of Columbia

Map 

Description 

In 1910, Andrew Carnegie gave $10 million to "hasten the abolition of war, the foulest blot upon our civilization." At its benefactor's direction, the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace was established in "Washington under the eye of Root & Scott & at the Ear of Congress." This red brick town house with Italianate detail (1860) served as the national headquarters of this organization until 1948. It is within the Lafayette Square Historic District NHL. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, May 30, 1974

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 13, 1974
Reference number
74002156
Architectural style
Victorian: Italianate
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Organizational
Current function
Government office
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1850-1874; 1925-1949
Significant years
1860; 1910; 1948