St. John's-In-The-Prairie

Also known as: St. John's Episcopal Church
SR 4, Forkland, Alabama

A historic Episcopal church in Forkland, Alabama.

Map 

Description 

St. John's-In-The-Prairie, now known as St. John's Episcopal Church, is a historic Episcopal church in Forkland, Alabama. The wooden Gothic Revival structure was built in 1859 to the designs of Richard Upjohn. It was originally located south of Greensboro in Alabama's prairie, part of the Black Belt. The congregation was organized in 1834 by Caleb Ives, a pioneer missionary, and was admitted to parish status in 1838. The first rector was the Rev. John Avery. The church building was moved across the Black Warrior River to its present location in 1878. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on November 20, 1975.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 20, 1975
Reference number
75000313
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1859

Update Log 

  • May 25, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources