William J. Cayce House

517 Holland Ave., Cayce, South Carolina


William J. Cayce House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov


Street View 


The Cayce house is important to the community as one of the first residences constructed in the city and one of the last such dwellings remaining. Built in 1917 by merchant William J. Cayce, founder of the town, the house distinctly represents an individualistic design typical of the life style of the emerging prosperous merchant of the period. The house further provides an identifying and recognized landmark for the community. The community has retained little of its original historical identity since it began after the turn of the century as an outgrowth of William J. Cayce’s railroad store, first called “Cayce’s Siding,” which later was replaced by a larger general merchandise establishment offering groceries, seed, and fertilizer to local farmers. The vernacular Classical Revival, two-story house is sheathed in weatherboard and features wood Doric columns across the entire front porch. The upstairs center porch has four smaller columns with a pediment. The door and window surrounds are plain, rectangular, flat boards. Windows on both floors are two-over-two vertical lights. Listed in the National Register April 15, 1975. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 16, 1975
Reference number
NR name
Cayce, William J., House
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Areas of significance
Community Planning and Development; Communications
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person
Property type
Historic function
Department store
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
Significant year

Update Log 

  • September 25, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo