Sulphur Springs Methodist Campground

N of Jonesboro off TN 81 in Sulphur Springs Community, Jonesboro, Tennessee

Photos 

GENERAL VIEW FROM WEST SHOWING NORTHWEST AND SOUTHWEST SIDES

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

Sulphur Springs Methodist Campground was founded following the Great Revival of 1800. First meeting here may have been as early as 1815. In 1842 temporary brush arbors were abandoned for a more permanent structural complex. The present shed as well as the other buildings (now extinct) were reconstructed with the same materials in 1900. The religious and social phenomenon of the camp meeting was an important communicative vehicle for backwoods families. The result is evidenced by the large variety of Protestant sects and the particular brand of Protestant Christianity practiced in certain areas of the Southeastern United States. The simplicity and naturalness of the shed's open air construction and the electric spaciousness of its interior volume reflect the personality of the spirit and event that created it. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 12, 1975
Reference number
75001796
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1900

Update Log 

  • May 17, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources